Saturday, July 20, 2013

Beat The Reaper, by Josh Bazell

"Great book if you want a quick, fast paced, witty and intelligent read. I enjoyed it thoroughly and I definitely recommend it. Full review under the picture. 



The story is about Dr. Peter, and the good doctor has a  shady past. As he is doing his rounds during the start of the book, he is identified by a former mob member with a serious life threatining illness, and this sets off a both hilarious, and pulse pounding race against time (and all of this in one day).If he can't cure the gangsters illness, his secret will come to light.

Is the character development all it could've been? No, it fails at getting you to fall in love with any character. I was intrigued by the main character, and I liked him, but I couldn't really care much about him. If they kill him off or not, to me was irrelevant. And perhaps that's what the writer wanted. 

Also, Peitro's relationships seemed slapped together, like chance and chance only. From his grandparents, to his friend Skinflick, to the woman he will forever love; they all seemed forced, and not at all organic. The love of his life, by the way, was adorned with what felt like cliche and uninspired romantic drivel. But again, perhaps it's what the writer wanted. A detachment of sorts.

The few things it did do, it did well. The comedy was solid, the tale was fast paced, and the backstory was really interesting. I also enjoyed the back and forth between chapters; one chapter he's recounting the good ol days, then the next chapter he is in the hospital, saving lives and doing so with such a cynical and obnoxious tone that you can't help but laugh. And he does this wonderfully so.

I never read an ending I liked. And this book is the same thing. The ending felt uninspired, and left me unsatisfied. But then, no ending will ever please me. At least so far...

I was fully absorbed by the story. I was laughing out loud, and clenching tightly, and all kinds of other weird stuff to make my friends look at me funny. I never try to over analyze a book while I'm reading it the first time through, I just check to see if I can enjoy it. And this book I did enjoy. I hope to see another book with this authors name on it. I'll def be looking for it now. Josh Bazell has won a fan."

No comments:

Post a Comment